Friday, June 28, 2013

They Just Gave Me the "Up-Down"

You all know it! Maybe it has happened to you or maybe you are the culprit! I know I am! It is a real technical term for when you see someone and one of the first things you do is look them up and down from head to toe.

Whatever your reasons are: checking out a girl a the club, admiring some one's body on the beach, wondering why a person put that outfit together...and the list goes on; it all equates to some version of judging.

 This action was something I encountered many times when I was in Ecuador for the CrossFit Latin American Regionals earlier this month.

I came in contact with a number of people in the airport, hotel, restaurants and they all inquired as to what I was doing in Ecuador. *sidenote: probably everyone asked me this questions, but I could only answer those that spoke English. When I replied that I was on a team competing at Regionals probably 9 out of 10 times I got the "up-down" Now, I know I don't look like Annie Thorisdottir or Camille Leblanc, but I am reasonably fit! At first I took a slight bit of offense to this, but then again, I don't know their reasoning for the look. I worked hard to get to Regionals and whether I look like a poster child for CrossFit or not doesn't matter.

The best look and comment I received during my time in Ecuador was from a woman who didn't speak any English. I was speaking with her daughter and they (like everyone else) asked why I was in the country. After I gave my response the woman smiled, looked at my thighs, pointed, and made a gesture to represent "big." She and I both laughed and I agreed "Yes, I do have large legs!" Probably one of the best compliments I received during my time in Ecuador.

Overall, it doesn't matter if you are be judged. You never know what the other person is thinking. Anyways, the majority of the time people give the "up, down" has to do with jealousy. They either wish they were more like you, or wish they could be with some one like you. I know the majority of people I give the look to tend to be fit CrossFit chicks (and a couple guys on the beach too...but don't tell my husband, I'm just admiring)!

So the next time you receive the up-down or a judging look, take it as a compliment, smile and look the person in the eye and say "thank you"!

No comments:

Post a Comment